Thursday, February 9, 2012

Inspiring Tones

After watching a few different documentaries I realized there are several different tones that the film makers take. I also realized that finding a certain tone may be a fairly difficult thing to do. Tone is defined as: a particular quality, way of sounding, modulation, or intonation of the voice as expressive of some meaning, feeling, spirit, etc.: a tone of command. So I suppose that every film maker upon making a documentary expresses their own voice in some way. Blue Vinyl has a very distinctive voice to it because the film maker narrates throughout as well as includes herself in the documentary. It is clear that the film maker is very passionate about the subject she was filming. She explains the story behind why she was so concerned about the subject. Blue Vinyl is so intriguing because the film maker has such a strong opinion, and through the doc expresses it. It really pulls the viewers in and causes them to feel the same thing she's feeling throughout the film. Another documentary, The Other "F" Word, has a completely different voice. In this documentary the film maker is not present at all within the film. It's hard to understand why the film maker wanted to create the film. I can understand that the point of the film is to show these punk rockers in different lights, but I was a bit confused during parts when the film went into a different direction by explaining the history of punk rock. I feel that should have been a whole other documentary in itself. So now I need to take these different types of tones for the documentary and figure out how I'm going to form my documentary. That's going to be the hard part...

No comments:

Post a Comment